Over the past couple months I’ve seen positive annuity articles published by the New York Times, FOX Business, SmartMoney and the Wall Street Journal!
Now add to the list the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO)!!!
On July 1st, Bloomberg News released a story based on the most recent GAO study. It states:
“The risk that retirees will outlive their assets is a growing challenge.” Increased life expectancies and health-care costs coupled with declines in financial markets and home equity over the last few years have “intensified” workers’ concerns about how to manage their savings in retirement. Annuities are insurance contracts that can offer a steady stream of income for life. Middle- income households, defined in the study as having a net worth of about $350,000 including their homes, that don’t have traditional pensions should consider using a portion of their savings to purchase an inflation-adjusted annuity.”
The study also points out:
- Almost half of those near retirement are predicted to run out of money and won’t be able to cover their basic expenses and uninsured health-care costs.
- A husband and wife who are both 65 years old have about a 47 percent chance that at least one of them will live until 90, the GAO report said.
- An immediate annuity can protect retirees from the risk of outliving their savings. For example, a contract purchased for $95,500 by a 66-year-old couple in Florida may provide $4,262 a year until the death of the surviving spouse and include increases for inflation. And
- Only six percent of workers with a 401(k)-type plan have thus-far opted for an annuity at retirement.
If you want yet another great credibility piece to use with clients, CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL COPY.
When I can help with anything else in your practice, contact me. Make it a great month in July!
The retirement landscape (and marketing into it) is evolving at breakneck speed. One of the top producers I consult always says “If you’re not evolving, you’re dying.” So ask yourself:
- Am I currently showing clients materials that are timely and relevant today?
- Or am I using sales materials that are 12-24 months (or even longer…) old?!?
- Do my handouts, supporting docs and videos feel a little worn out?
Not after today…
My simplistic role in the retirement landscape is to empower. Empower financial advisors to efficient marketing, additional clients and a larger bottom line. Do all that while putting more American retirees in a safe and secure retirement environment. To support that cause, below are 3 incredible client pieces. All 3 were shared by your financial advisor peer group and are already being used successfully in the field.
Steal at your leisure and refresh your support materials ASAP!
Sales Support Item #1
Barron’s “Best Annuity” Article – June, 2011
This 2 page article provides a fair view of annuities & their value proposition. Given how well-respected Barron’s remains for financial news, this should be an article you immediately put in front of clients & prospects.
Sales Support Item #2
PBS NewsHour Video – Is Your Pension Safe? – June, 2011
9:38 video produced by PBS (non-polarizing to most people) about the 50 state pension crunch. This video lays the groundwork to prompt taking action. Don’t rely on the government, your employer or your state to bail you out. Take responsibility for your own retirement security now!
Sales Support Item #3
Insured Retirement Institute’s 2011 Fact Book – June, 2011
190-page fact book with updated details, stats and trends in retirement income planning! You can never say you’re at a loss for information with this in hand. There is more seminar content, presentation ideas and client letter statistics than you could ever use (embarrassment of riches)!!!
Push strong into this summer and I’m a phone call/email/post away to help with anything.